Last updated in December 2020
"keep it simple, stupid"
Uninversity of Peradeniya, Peradeniya 20400, Sri Lanka
Download my resume
Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya - Peradeniya, Sri Lanka : Nov 2015 - Present
- B. Sc. (Eng) in Computer Engineering: GPA: 3.95/4.00
Trinity College - Kandy, Sri Lanka : 2006 - 2014
- Gamaarachchi, H., Lam, C.W., Jayatilaka, G., Samarakoon, H., Simpson, J.T., Smith, M.A. and Parameswaran, S., 2020. GPU accelerated adaptive banded event alignment for rapid comparative nanopore signal analysis. BMC bioinformatics, 21(1), pp.1-13.
- Samarakoon, H., Punchihewa, S., Senanayake, A., Hammond, J.M., Stevanovski, I., Ferguson, J.M., Ragel, R., Gamaarachchi, H. and Deveson, I.W., 2020. Genopo: a nanopore sequencing analysis toolkit for portable Android devices. Communications biology, 3(1), pp.1-5.
- 2020: Presented the work listed under publications (2) as one of the top three spotlight speakers at Nanopore Community Meeting (NCM) 2020 - a conference dedicated to scientific research using nanopore DNA/RNA sequencing.
- 2020: 2nd runners up at Data Storm v1.0, a machine learning and data science competition, organized by the Rotaract clubs of the University of Moratuwa and University of Colombo.
- 2019: 2nd runners up at Brainstorm 2019, Sri Lanka's Premier Biomedical Engineering Design Competition, organized by the IEEE EMBS Student Branch Chapter at the University of Moratuwa.
- 2018: 1st runners up at iHack 4.0, a 24-hour inter-university software development hackathon, organized by University of Colombo School of Computing ISACA Student Group
- 2017: 2nd runners up at ACES Hackathon 2017 a software development hackathon, organized by the Association of Computer Engineering Students (ACES), Faculty of Engineering, University of Peradeniya.
- 2016 and 2017: successful participation at ACES Coders, an algorithmic programming competition organized by ACES.
Agricultural Biotechnology Center, University of Peradeniya
20face Enschede, the Netherlands - a company providing privacy proof biometrics
Industrial training internship
February 2019 - August 2019
The company has its facial recognition algorithm based on deep learning. I joined the development team to extend this proof of concept to a commercially viable software development kit (SDK). I engaged in designing interfaces to wrap SDK for different programming languages. My work included evaluating the algorithms, setting up proof of concepts, solving database management issues, testing/debugging SDK, and dealing with continuous integration/delivery.
The project had three objectives.
- Designing a smartphone application for analyzing nanopore DNA sequencing data
- Aggregate the computing power of smartphones using a server-client setup for real-time DNA analysis in parallel to DNA sequencing
- Algorithmic enhancement in DNA methylation profiling pipeline to limit data storage requirements and introduce complete real-time DNA methylation profiling using smartphones.
The following are some of the projects I have worked on during my undergraduate studies. Please visit https://github.com/hiruna72 for more information.
An IoT of autonomous fishing boats
An IoT network with a set of autonomous bots that can harvest fish, working individually, and communicating with a local relay node, which is overseen by a central server was built. A client can set up relay nodes in different locations, deploy the fishing bots, and use the central server to get live updates.
Peripheral Interface Controller as a USB interface
Built a general-purpose input/output interface using PIC18F4550 that is compatible with USB 2.0, 3.0 protocol. The interface can be further extended using multiplexers along with an external power supply.
Packet Forwarding Simulator
Open-source software was designed to examine the associated delays and traffic in a predefined network topology. Adding new packets and modifying the topology are supported at runtime through a GUI
Learning is a never-ending journey. I have taken some online courses in this pandemic situation.
I've started a new habit of writing to share knowledge with a wide audience.
I find myself as an enthusiastic sportsman. I play football regularly. I have won university colors for Hockey in three consecutive years - 2016/17/18. I was lucky enough to be the vice-captain of the college Hockey team (2006-2010).